Preschool Story Times are offered seasonally 3 times a year during the Fall, Winter and Spring. Story times promote the early literacy skills that children from birth to age 5 need for reading and school readiness by encouraging them to talk, sing, read, write and play.
In-Person Registration is conducted two weeks prior to programs starting. Residency is not a requirement although preference for enrollment is given to residents of the Newburgh Enlarged City School District. Check the Calendar of Events for more details. Call (845) 563-3623 for more information.
Programs are designed to be age appropriate for children from birth to age 5 and offer an opportunity for children to develop social skills, practice listening skills, discover age appropriate stories, and be introduced to the Library. The programs that are conducted at the MAIN Library and require registration are:
- Lapsit: for babies from birth to 18 months with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 30 minutes of rhymes, songs, fingerplays and books, plus socialization time.
- Toddler Time: for children 18 months to 36 months with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 1 hour of story time and free play with educational toys. Younger siblings are welcome.
- Play & Learn Together: for children from 18 to 36 months with a parent or caregiver. For those attending Toddler Time program for the first time. Program is approximately 1 hour of story time and free play with educational toys, plus participation by local professionals who are knowledgeable about child development. For this program, the Library partners with Early Intervention of Orange County Department of Health.
- Preschool Story Time: for children ages 3-5 with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 45 minutes of stories, songs, rhymes, flannelboard stories, movement and a creative activity
Our story time at the TOWN Branch, which is offered seasonally year-round and does not require registration, is:
- Drop-in Preschool Story Time: stories are selected for children ages 3-5 with a parent or caregiver; all ages welcome! Program is approximately 35 minutes of books, songs, rhymes, and flannelboard stories, with time for play and socialization afterward.